Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Five Questions to Thomas Meixner

The following is meant to be a regular Monday feature of this blog where an alum, faculty member, student or staff member answers five questions related to the department.

Today's victim is the editor of the blog Tom Meixner. Who from here on out will be writing this blog in the first person.

1) Why the Department of Hydrology and Water Resources?
I attended the University of Arizona for my graduate education. Roger Bales was my adviser. He recruited me by letting me work on the topic that I wished to pursue the coupled modeling of nitrogen and water. This topic continues to be an area of my research. Upon arriving at Arizona for my graduate education I also learned of the unique nature of the department, because we are a department of hydrology and not geosciences or environmental sciences or engineering everyone focuses on the different aspects of water in the earth system. this focus enables a cogency to develop among students and faculty. After I got my PhD I was hired at the University of California Riverside as an assistant professor. i was a professor there for 6 years before being lucky enough to be hired as an associate professor in the Hydrology department. Upon returning I remembered the joy of being surrounded by hydrologists again. At Riverside when people had a hydrologic question they came to me. this helped me broaden my understanding of hydrology but truly there are indeed many topics in hydrology on which I am less than an expert. At Arizona I have the luxury of getting hydrologic science advice from the bets oin the world both in the department, through our joint faculty and across our wonderful campus.

2) Best hydrologic insight you have ever had?
As with most of my scientific effort it has been a joint process to discover and quantify the importance of floods for the rivers and aquifers of the southwest. These floods connect rivers and their aquifers intimately either by forcing recharge though change in stage (Baillie et al 2007 and Simpson 2007) or by inducing scour and removing clogging layers in the subsurface of effluent dominated rivers (Treese et al 2009).

3) Favorite thing about being a hydrologist?
I get to work in the field on problems that important to society for its survival and its growth both economic and spiritual.

4) Why start this blog?
Seemed like it would be a good way to connect the folks in the department in a virtual way by highlighting, people, projects, papers and events that are of import to the Hydrology and Water Resources Family.

5) Favorite thing about Tucson?
In the words of Ty Ferre Tucson is the largest city that embraces its the desert as the place that it is. So many other Southwest US cities live in opposition to the desert while Tucson lives in communion with its desert at least as much as any city can.

No comments:

Post a Comment